[ilds] Fact and Fiction

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 09:55:21 PDT 2009

Julia,

Bill and I hold opposing positions (I think), and I doubt if he wants
to be confused with me.  Anyway, I agree with just about everything
you said and was struck by how much it reminded me of Montaigne and
his great undertaking in the Essays, namely, to discover himself.  I
wonder, however, about being "strangers even to ourselves."  If
there's anything I know in this world, it has to be me, myself, so I
have trouble with the idea that each of us is as unknowable as the
fellow next door.  I tend to think that Durrell's notion of the self
as "selected fictions" is a way to dress up something ordinary,
something like saying, "This self, this I called me, which I recognize
from moment to moment, is constantly exploring the world in new
situations."

Bruce