[ilds] real emotions and unreal figures

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 12:15:52 PDT 2009

Bill can explain his own position, but I think he's asking a question
something like this (although maybe not), "Can you imagine a
'gkawnzk?'"  The answer is no because the word has no reference in the
real world.  So, if words only make sense with real references, then
fiction can only be understood in terms of reality.  This argument is
fine for showing how semantics works, but it doesn't prove those
references exist.  I understand what the term "flying saucer" refers
to, but this doesn't prove one exists.  Seems to me Bill's believers
in Sherlock Holmes are confusing things.  Bill's next question might
be, "Why are they confusing things?" My reply, "They're just young and
childish, or they're old and childish."

Bruce