[ilds] Re Sherlock, Shylock, Warlock, and all the other locks

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 10:31:40 PDT 2009

Every year in December the U.S. Post Office gets thousands, maybe
millions of letters addressed to Santa Claus in the North Pole.  Kids
send them.  After they grow up, they stop sending them.  The same must
be true for Sherlock.  Young people eventually suffer the
disappointment and then enjoy the reading experience for what it is.
I also think, however, there's another question lurking here, in
blurring the distinction between fantasy and real, as seen today in
video games, particularly the violent ones.  Too much fantasy
desensitizes one to the real world.    Lawrence Durrell may have had
this problem.  Plato in The Republic asked a similar question about
literature long ago.

Bruce