[ilds] Re Sherlock, Shylock, Warlock, and all the other locks

Godshalk, William (godshawl) godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon Oct 19 09:58:33 PDT 2009

The following is from Masterpiece Theatre's Teachers Guide.

"Letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes at 221b Baker Street still arrive every day, over 100 years after the character was created. Ask students, Why do you think this is? Holmes has been described as "real in a way that only the greatest fictional characters achieve." What other characters, from books, film, television, legend, or elsewhere, can students name who are real in this way? What do they think these characters and Sherlock Holmes have in common that has given them such longevity?"

W. L. Godshalk *
Department of English    *           *
University of Cincinnati*   * Stellar Disorder  *
OH 45221-0069 *  *