[ilds] real emotions and unreal figures

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 18 17:04:24 PDT 2009

Bill,

Back from a lecture on Tutankhamun's medicine cabinet and all the
speculations Egyptologists like to indulge in.  I love it for that;
it's another kind of imaginative thinking.  Never let anyone fool you
that archaeology is a science — it ain't.  Along this line, I have
absolutely never thought of Shakespeare's characters as "real" and
seriously doubt, if you questioned your students closely, any of them
really think they are.  Better question, what did Shakespeare think?
I think Prospero's stuff-of-dream speech (Tempest, IV, 1, 156ff) gives
you the probably answer.  Who thinks Sherlock is real?  You gotta be
kidding me.  And the Soaps — they're pure late afternoon escapism,
mainly for housewives, I bet, bored with their lot.  No, the world
would be a far worse place without Hamlet and Holmes.  They give hope
and deliverance from the real world.  Remember, God is a humorist.

Bruce