[ilds] real emotions and unreal figures

Godshalk, William (godshawl) godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu
Sun Oct 18 15:16:06 PDT 2009

Bruce,

You and Norm may not be that far asunder. Let me read the book and let you know.

About the reality of fictional characters, I can report that my students always (maybe not always, but often) talk about Shakespeare's characters as if they are real -- same as the ladies in the grocery talk about the soaps as if they are real.

Everyone thinks Sherlock Holmes is a real dective -- don't they?

Would the world be a better place if Hamlet and Holmes had never been written?

Bill

W. L. Godshalk *
Department of English    *           *
University of Cincinnati*   * Stellar Disorder  *
OH 45221-0069 *  *