[ilds] What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun Oct 18 14:12:28 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: "Godshalk, William (godshawl)"

"the problem of unreal people whom we think of as real"

 I think of women checking out at a grocery store and talking about the soaps.

****

As you would tell me, my friend:

"Is it not monstrous that this player here,
But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
Could force his soul so to his own conceit
That from her working all his visage wann'd,
Tears in his eyes, distraction in's aspect,
A broken voice, and his whole function suiting
With forms to his conceit? and all for nothing!
For Hecuba!
What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba,
That he should weep for her? What would he do,
Had he the motive and the cue for passion
That I have? He would drown the stage with tears
And cleave the general ear with horrid speech,
Make mad the guilty and appal the free,
Confound the ignorant, and amaze indeed
The very faculties of eyes and ears."

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga