[ilds] Olive Trees

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 17 18:48:45 PDT 2009

Charles wrote: I am especially impressed that Durrell can convince me of
something by the end, and that I actually feel something bittersweet as we
take our goodbyes of characters who may or may not be "real."  A conjurer's
art book, indeed.

Charles,

There is a pattern of Durrell's books beginning with personal journeys and
becoming something wider and more complex. I am thinking of the three
classic island books and also the Avignon Quintet which begins with a
journey from Paris to Provence, a journey I imagine that Lawrence took
several times. So we start with a stream that becomes a river that,
sometimes, becomes a sea with many currents. I think LD was very consciously
a conjurer (Prospero) and very good one. We are moved by the process and, if
we were not moved by something in the end, then Durrell would be a crap
writer and doubtless not subject to so much interest and discussion. He
journeys, his characters journey, we journey; good writing.

But when think of that section in Prospero's Cell which I mentioned earlier,
I am conscious of something Wildean; the dialoque not really reflecting the
character but the author. I sometimes find LD's dialoque owing more to the
classics than to the moderns, quite shakespearean at time - which should
come as no surprise.

David