[ilds] Olive Trees

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sat Oct 17 17:36:08 PDT 2009

Thanks for returning to that memorable chapter in Prospero's Cell, David.

I wonder how the reader is supposed to take those characters?  (Your response seems one right way to proceed.)

There is an interesting generic mix in Prospero's Cell--from the personal journal chapters to the "historical chapters" to the epilogue in Alex &c.

I am especially impressed that Durrell can convince me of something by the end, and that I actually feel something bittersweet as we take our goodbyes of characters who may or may not be "real."  A conjurer's art book, indeed.

C&c.

From: ilds-bounces at lists.uvic.ca [ilds-bounces at lists.uvic.ca] On Behalf Of Denise Tart & David Green [dtart at bigpond.net.au]
There are 2 or 3 pages in Landscape with Olive Trees
previous to what I quoted below that, to me at least, explore  this; worth a
careful read - pages 114 - 116 of Prospero's Cell, Faber Paperback edition.
I think Count D, Zarian, Theodore and the narrator are mouthpeices for
Larry's views on History, conjecture and the creative process.

David

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW  2204
+61 2 9564 6165