[ilds] Landscape with Olive Trees

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 16 13:52:17 PDT 2009

But is it fair to compare words on a page to Durrell himself, a real person?

> I know that it is oft done, but isn't it like comparing a painting of a
> rabbit with the one hopping around  in my backyard?

I agree with you there William, of course. My aim was to point to LD's
creative process. There are 2 or 3 pages in Landscape with Olive Trees
previous to what I quoted below that, to me at least, explore  this; worth a
careful read - pages 114 - 116 of Prospero's Cell, Faber Paperback edition.
I think Count D, Zarian, Theodore and the narrator are mouthpeices for
Larry's views on History, conjecture and the creative process.

David

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW  2204
+61 2 9564 6165