[ilds] genius

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 15 12:56:49 PDT 2009

I think Charles sums up this little debate on Durrell's "Cambridge
education" about as neatly as it can be, with his usual good humor,
acumen, and learning.  I accept his characterization of me on this
issue, although the issue itself remains unresolved.  Dr. D.'s point —
a Cambridge tutor would have staunched Durrell's creative juices, his
childlike wonder and exuberance, that "My heart leaps up" enthusiasm.
Well, William Wordsworth was one of the founders of the English
Romantic movement, and he wrote, "The Child is father of the Man," and
made famous the whole notion of childlike spontaneity as a wellspring
of poetry.  Wordsworth, as you know, attended St. John's College,
Cambridge.  He didn't like it, but he "did his time," as the saying
goes.  His story is similar to Coleridge's, Shelley's, and Byron's
(who got what might be called a "gentleman's degree" at Cambridge,
perhaps shared with his pet bear).  These writers certainly chafed
while at the university, but they knew their stuff and had the benefit
of a solid classical education.  Keats is the very big exception, of
course, and probably the biggest genius of the lot.  I find it
interesting that Durrell doesn't like him or appears not to like him,
as references in The Black Book and the Quartet would seem to
indicate.  Why?  They're rivals?  Too similar?  Two outsiders with
huge poetic gifts?

Anyway, we're dealing in hypotheticals, so here's mine.  A thought
experiment, as Durrell might have said, imitating Einstein.  So,
Lawrence G. Durrell, age eighteen, passes his entrance exams on a
first try and is admitted to King's College, Cambridge.  He comes to
King's knowing Latin and French.  He's assigned a tutor, Elyot
Poundsworthy, who specializes in Roman poetry and early French
literature.  Poundsworthy has published articles on Catullus, Horace,
Bernart de Ventadorn, and Montaigne.  Tutor and student have their
first meeting.  Tutor asks pupil what his areas of interests are, and
pupil says he likes the classics but he especially likes modern
poetry, beginning with G. M. Hopkins.  Tutors nods and assigns student
a selection of poems, all in the original Latin and French, and
includes Montaigne's essay, "On Vanity," also in French.  Then he
tells him to write an essay on vanity, to integrate all the authors in
the assignment into a coherent argument, and to come back in a week.
Five pages will do.  Student returns.  He has written an essay in over
one thousand lines of free verse, with occasional rhymes.  Tutor
slowly reads the essay, nods, and compliments student on his spelling,
particularly in the original languages.  No mistakes.  He smiles and
remarks that Pope also wrote essays in verse, although in heroic
couplets and with considerably more concision.  Then he says, "All
very interesting.  I like the images, in particular how you compare
Catullus's 'fuck face' with Montaigne's 'chamber pots.'  But what's
your point?  I can't find a point."  Student waves his arms and says,
"How can an essay have a point when the subject matter has no point?
Montaigne goes all over the place and never settles on anything.  He
just rambles, so you never know what he means.  If he can get away
with that, so can I.  Montaigne's mind skips and hops like a stone
skimming over a pond, never getting below glittering surfaces."  Tutor
nods again and says, "That's very good.  I like that.  I don't agree
with it, but I like it.  Now, why didn't you say that or even suggest
that in your essay?  Or are you just interested in trying to be as
clever as the authors you write about?"

Three years later, L. G. Durrell gets his degree from King's, second
class, and soon leaves for Corfu.  He now knows about brevity and
concision and clear thinking, but he decides to use these tools
sparingly and to rely on his instincts, except when talking about
French thought and Einstein's Relativity.

Bruce