[ilds] Alexandria is not much interested in Cavafy anymore

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 15:46:02 PDT 2009

1.  Dr. Mohamed Awad is an Egyptian and probably Arab in the sense
Egyptians think of themselves as Arab, but his "race" is not relevant
in any case.  Nor does he pretend to be anything.  In 2007, he was
Director of The Alexandria and Mediterranean Research Centre, at the
Biblioteca Alexandrina.  At the Durrell Celebration in 2007, he also
chaired the discussions on preserving Alexandria's architectural
heritage.

2.  "Anyone can find" Cavafy's plaque is like saying anyone can find
the flat where Stendhal wrote The Charterhouse of Parma, once one is
lucky enough to stumble on it on rue Caumartin, 9e arrondissemont,
Paris.

Bruce