[ilds] The Wisdom of George Orwell in relation to LawrenceDurrell

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:00:52 PDT 2009

I'd love to respond to this whole series of comments, but I'm buried at
the moment and get on yet another silly flight tomorrow...

Can I borrow from Richard's play book and suggest that anyone interest
in Durrell's public school experience, views on the Oxbridge crowd,
Bloomsbury, and the London Bohemians take a look at /Pied Piper of
Lovers/ and /Panic Spring/ (in lovely new editions from ELS Editions):

http://www.elseditions.com/current.html#PP
http://www.elseditions.com/current.html#PS

Fleeing the leftist stance is, to my mind, a part of Durrell's
antiauthoritarian stint in this period (not a right wing nor colonial
tic), and the comparison to Orwell reminds me of Orwell's borrowings
from Durrell's /Panic Spring/ as well as their minor public tiff in /The
New English Weekly/ over what Orwell had thought was a return to the
High Modernist's egoism (he'd missed the antiauhtoritarian element).

Would I prefer a Durrell who had had the experience of a tutor but not
of Corfu, Paris, and North Africa?  No.

And now back to lurking and longing for time to write...

Best,
James