[ilds] The Wisdom of George Orwell in relation to Lawrence Durrell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 08:18:25 PDT 2009

David,

Orwell is always good to read, a very careful and true essayist.  I
would add, however, that Durrell "the imaginative writer" poses a
problem, when applying Orwell's rules to the former's travel books.
Durrell is undoubtedly true to "the scenery of his own mind," but his
"distort[ions]" and "caricature[s]" go beyond normal expectations.  I
used to think (no longer) travel literature was factual.  In my young,
naive days, I thought the places and people I encountered in this
literature actually existed.  Perhaps this is generally true of the
genre, but it's not necessarily true of Durrell's version, especially
with respect to his "people."  In his travel books, some of his people
are real, like Sabri in Bitter Lemons (who actually has his photo in
the 1958 edition of The Readers Union), but some are pure invention,
although presented as real personages, to wit, Count D. in Prospero's
Cell (who actually gets mentioned in the dedication).  Now, why does
Durrell do this?  Partly Shandean playfulness, I think, and partly the
need to tell a good story.  And something else — Durrell's sense of
reality is highly colored by his imagination, and he doesn't really
distinguish between the two.   As Martine (another invention) says in
Sicilian Carousel, "We have been brought up to believe that facts are
not dreams—and of course they are'" (p. 36).

Bruce