[ilds] Trading in national charcteristics

Ozlem Ince holistic3000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 13:59:49 PDT 2009

 One can always trace phil-Hellenistic themes in Durrel's novels. The geography of Greek islands is almost of a mystical nature for Durell and most Greeks bears the characteristics of ancient Greek Gods.  The Cypriot character is relatively unknown to Durrell and hence he finds it difficult to attribute the same mystical characteristics to Cypriots who are caught up in a bitter struggle regarding the future of the island. Faced with a barren and hot geography and people entangled in an intercommunal struggle as well as a struggle against the British, there is not much for Durell`s imagination. Even if he makes some allussions to the Greek character, the Greek Cypriots are hardly the archetypical Greek. Having no special interest in Turkish history, his understanding of the Turkish Cypriot characteristics is even less. At the end Cypriots, both Turkish and Greek are defined as sharing an `idleness` common to the island.  Given
 the historical context within which Durell wrote Bitter Lemons, I  have the impression that Durell was more concerned with finding a way to reconcile phil-Hellen inclinations with his loyalty to the British administration than remaining true to the national characteristics of the protagonists.

Ozlem