[ilds] On First Discovering Lawrence Durrell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 11:26:07 PDT 2009

Once again, I think, David has hit upon a key point in reading and
appreciating Durrell, namely, his generalizations are usually
idiosyncratic and often wrong.  But the world the reader enters and
enjoys, with the avidity of a child reading fairy tales — that is
Durrell's world, largely imaginative, almost wholly invented, and
greatly distorted.  One of my favorite chapters in his writings is
"How to Buy a House" in Bitter Lemons.

Bruce