[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 10_Durrell and Nabokov

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 12 11:11:13 PDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Sumantra Nag wrote:

> It seems to me that on the ILDS forum, quite a few people to be
> gripped by
> Durrell's writing first read him as adolescents. This was also the
> case with
> me.The writer whom I began reading seriously in later years and whom
> I still
> find instantly absorbing is Proust in English (In Search of Lost
> Time), in
> the original translation by Scott Moncrieff and also the later Penguin
> version of 1981 based on translations by Scott Moncrieff and Terence
> Kilmartin.

I think Sumantra is right about the lasting effects of reading Durrell
as an adolescent.  Bringing in Proust is equally apt and perhaps
related to the experience.  I wonder why.  Maybe space-time, as LD
would have it, is indeed curved and M. Proust also read L. Durrell
about the time he observed Golo trotting across his bedroom wall?