[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 10_Durrell and Nabokov

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:34:44 PDT 2009

Charles: "Despite that note, I prefer Durrell's writing to Nabokov's
writing."

I have to say that I too prefer Durrell's writing to Nabokov's writing.

It seems to me that on the ILDS forum, quite a few people to be gripped by
Durrell's writing first read him as adolescents. This was also the case with
me.The writer whom I began reading seriously in later years and whom I still
find instantly absorbing is Proust in English (In Search of Lost Time), in
the original translation by Scott Moncrieff and also the later Penguin
version of 1981 based on translations by Scott Moncrieff and Terence
Kilmartin.

My taste in fiction may have got somewhat fossilised after my early years.
But I can say that in seeking the possible influences and traditions of
writing which may have a relationship with Durrell's novels, I was led into
reading Proust, Dickens, Sir Thomas Browne, Lytton Strachey, Norman Douglas,
Joyce (whom I could never find as absorbing as Proust) and Virginia Woolf,
and re-reading Conrad and De Quincey. The travel writing of the Sitwells
with which I was earlier acquainted and the prose of Lytton Strachey have
also been mentioned as bearing a quality seen in the prose of Lawrence
Durrell.

Charles: "And those giants, they do re-arrange all of the furniture when
they come over for a visit. . . ."

I found that wonderfully witty, except that I havn't read enough of the
giants to fully experience the re-arrangement of which you speak!

Sumantra

Message: 2