[ilds] VN & LD

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 15:27:38 PDT 2009

Charles,

I'm not referring to opinions about literary value, which authors are
worthwhile and which not.  That is largely a matter of taste, and as
has long been established, matters of taste are not matters of
dispute:  de gusitbus non est disputandum.  Durrell and Nabokov had
their preferences and both were capable of highly-charged,
idiosyncratic opinions.  But so what?  That was their right.  No
problem there.  I'm referring to precision of thought, the kind which
we have been discussing.  For good reason Durrell decided, either on
his own or on the advice of his editor, to eliminate his 1958 note to
Balthazar from the collected 1962 edition of the Quartet.  That
statement about his plan as a "soup-mix," with embellishments from
Einstein's Relativity theory about space-time, is silly and and won't
hold up under scrutiny.  You may take his note as an extended
metaphor, exciting in its sweep and novelty, but on close examination
it looks pompous and foolish.  It won't hold up — writing four novels
from different perspectives is equatable to General Relativity?  Or
was it Special Relativity? — neither of which I even pretend to
understand, except in the most simplified sense.  I like to think a
good education will train you to think clearly and accurately, and I
don't think this would have harmed any of Durrell's "instincts."

Bruce