[ilds] Durrell on the French

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 19:02:51 PDT 2009

Charles,

I'm glad we agree.  What Darley means, however, is abundantly clear
and not at all flattering to the French:

"Nevertheless there is no woman too humble, too battered, too old, to
receive those outward attentions -- those little gallantries and
sorties of wit which I have come to associate with the Gallic
temperament; the heady meretricious French charm which evaporates so
easily into pride and mental indolence -- like French thought which
flows so quickly into sand-moulds, the original esprit hardening
immediately into deadening concepts" (AQ, 1968, p. 37).

Bruce