[ilds] Durrell on the French

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 12:05:35 PDT 2009

Charles,

Have to disagree here.  I will be presumptuous and wave the French
tricolor.  I don't take Darley's/Durrell's use of "French thought" as
a remotely possible reference, if you're so implying, to French
"cultural values" of food, wine, and sex.  Durrell's phrase occurs in
the context of "deadening concepts," ideas or ratiocination, and I
don't think many would consider French food or all the others
"deadening concepts."

Bruce