[ilds] Durrell on the French

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 10:36:54 PDT 2009

Charles,

Well said and thanks for referencing a broader context and strategy.
So, the aphorism is ironic?  Is that what you're suggesting?  I'm
slow.  Off hand, I don't see how a fatuous metaphor on "French
thought" corresponds to or elaborates on the De Sade epigraph, its
either/or argument for crime and suicide, unless both are meant to be
taken as silly.  The strategy undermines itself.  I suspect, however,
that no such over-arching plan is going on here, in this instance,
with Darley/Durrell.  I think that Durrell likes his quips and will
drop them like plums wherever he can to spruce up his narrative.
Seems to me that the real "sand moulds" are some of Durrell's metaphors.

Bruce