[ilds] Durrell on the French

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Oct 9 09:47:07 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Redwine <bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>

Should we simply
attribute the comment to Darley's naïveté?  Or is this actually
Durrell the narrator speaking?

Bruce:

Let me also add I would read Darley's comment on Pombal "meretricious" charm as a part of the larger strategy of the opening edpisodes of _Justine_, which put the "Pudding Island" moral certainties of Bournemouth &c. into alien and uncomfortable surrounding.

Marquis de Sade, Freud, Homosexuality, Gay Poets and Poetry, spices, Adultery, exotic dancers, Child Prostitution, Hashish, slaughtered camels, a dead fetus, and charming lady-killing Frenchmen--oh my. . . .

That said, how does Darley's pronouncement about "French Thought" work if we bring it into proximity with the opening epigraph on "Lovely Therese" and her little mind?

C&c.

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Charles-Sligh at utc.edu

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga