[ilds] (no subject)

RW HEDGES rwhedges at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 12:23:12 PDT 2009

 Churchills school report was awful. He was labelled a failure and was considered so by his father. He must have hated Harrow. Its a terrible place. I was thinking of Durrells Pudding Island remark the other day because I finished AA Gills "The Angry Island (Hunting the English)" A wonderful book. One that would have made Churchill cough up a Cigar(Unless he could see England now!) but Durrell would have been delighted with. The public schools are and were horrible places. All of poor Orwells experiences can be laughed at now but actually they shaped a sorry side of him I think. I am sure he still haunts Uxbridge where he wrote half of his Burmese Days. Down the road from here actually. But Durrell, he was all about ignoring the existence of the stuffy cathedrals for the learned. Surely a book like Prosperos Cell tells us so?

  Roy