[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6

Smithchamberlin at aol.com Smithchamberlin at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 18:15:22 PDT 2009

I note that none of the participants in the discussion are female. Or did I
 miss something?
        Brewster

In a message dated 10/7/2009 3:00:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ilds-request at lists.uvic.ca writes:

>  Re:  --  Oxbridge or Cambridge

Several of the  corespondents on the List seem to define great writers
(and even 20th  cent. writers) as exclusively male.  I see no reference
to either  Virginia Woolf or Katherine Mansfield, or for that  matter
other  feminine writers (There were some good ones.)    As to education,
aren't you all forgetting that D. H . Lawrence never attended anything
other than a redbrick teachers college?  Perhaps there are those who  do
not consider Lawrence a great writer? V.  Woolf had her main
educational system entirely at home, in her father's library.    She
lived among Cambridge graduates such as Leonard Woolf and Lytton
Strachey, and in adulthood often lunched among the Cambridge colleges
with  friends, but did not study there.  (She also studied Latin  and
Greek with capable WOMEN  tutors and taught herself Russian. ) K.
Mansfield, brought up in New Zealand, got to England when she was 17,
but never reached, or considered it necessary, to go to Oxford or
Cambridge.     Ed  Hungerford