[ilds] English Public Schools

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 7 14:15:39 PDT 2009

Sumantra, yes, the English public schools ("private" in American
terms) are superior educational institutions and excel at preparing
their students for the university.  They have other reputations,
however, and it's always interesting to read Orwell's "Such, such were
the joys" for another perspective.  The essay describes the social
climate at St. Cyprian's, before Orwell attended Eton.  Durrell
probably got a good education at his, before he went out into the
world.  He seems to know his Latin.  What he missed and could have
profited from, I think, was the critical exercise of going one on one
with a tutor.  A situation where one writes a weekly essay and then
has to defend it word for word, assuming that was and is the process
at one of the Oxbridge colleges.  If he had done that, he might have
avoided some of his questionable remarks on literature and the sciences.

Bruce