[ilds] Selfhood

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 13:13:09 PDT 2009

I would say the two terms are essentially identical for Durrell, but
someone else may disagree.  "Ego," I believe, is the old Freudian
term, which has fallen out of favor, along with Freud's fall from
grace.  I sense that "self" is the popular term nowadays.  Is the
concept of "ego"/self dead?  Well, that's what this discussion is all
about.  Is the self fragmented, without a stable identity?  I say no.
Durrell seems to say yes, especially in Monsieur.

Bruce