[ilds] Selfhood, Durrell, Pater

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 12:49:47 PDT 2009

Charles,

I see Pater as describing, beautifully so, the effervescence of
consciousness, not the nature of "selfhood," as Bill offers.  I think
Keats, Pater, Durrell, and a host of others confuse the two.  I'm very
literal minded and don't see how you can equate, what Durrell
sometimes calls, "I per se I," that core entity of personality, with
those fleeting impressions and Paterian "hard, gemlike flames" of
sensory experience.  Because the world around me is fleeting does not
mean that I am just as insubstantial, or so I think.  Cogito.  Zen
Buddhism, on the other hand, says that my rock-hard sense of self is
nothing but an illusion.  I don't believe it.

Bruce