[ilds] Brilliant disguise

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 27 08:25:47 PDT 2009

David,

Yes.  Anyone who writes knows that a big part of that pleasure lies in
creating a world and living in it.  Hence the obsession to write and
sustain the experience, as long as you can.  Durrell was often
successful at the latter.  He was indeed Prospero, the happy magician,
or so he started off as a young man, in the bloom of youth, but toward
the end, in the gloom, if you will, he seems to have turned in that
disguise for Monsieur, the Demiurge.  Michael Haag has said that
Durrell lies all the time, when talking about his writing.  I think
this is true.  He has a great need for playful obfuscation.  Why is
his poetry often so difficult?  As Charles Bryant says in his video,
"what did it really mean?"  I believe the solution to that puzzle may
have something to do with lying or invention as lying.  Liars don't
want to be caught.  Writers want to share their work — but only to a
point.  They also want to keep it private and will lie to do so.  It's
a game that can lead to problems, if you stay in the real world.
Better to go to Tibet or to jump into nothingness, like Campion.

Bruce