[ilds] Aesthetics and Durrell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 24 09:47:03 PDT 2009

Sumantra ponders, Charles suffers Mac-loss, and I'm struggling to set
up a new one.  Re Durrell and aestheticism, while Charles certainly
offers the appropriate words of caution, I'm with Sumantra, if I
understand him correctly, and am quite willing to take Darley/Durrell
at his word, as quoted below, namely, "For us artists there waits the
joyous compromise through art with all that wounded or defeated us in
daily life; in this way, not to evade destiny, as the ordinary people
try to do, but to fulfil it in its true potential - the imagination."
This kind of statement occurs too frequently throughout Durrell's
oeuvre, fiction and nonfiction, early and late, to be taken as either
a stage in the writer's development or as some kind of trial balloon —
both doomed to revision or destruction by Pursewarden's ironies.  In
short, I take it as serious statement of belief, and I do believe M.
Durrell has a core identity and aesthetic that is very close to the
words of the young, callow, impressionable, highly Romantic LGD, whom
Ludwig P. snickers at and refers to as "Lineaments of Gratified
Desire" in Balthazar.  The phrase, I believe, comes from Billy Blake,
usually taken as the first of the great English Romantics.  So,
Pursewarden mocks using the words of one of his own heroes (cf.
Mountolive, where the poet and his blind sister celebrate Blake's
birthday, "the old b[astard's]," by waltzing around Trafalgar Square —
surely one of the most beautiful scenes in the Quartet).

By the way, I thank Sumantra for quoting from Terry Eagleton's review
of Ian MacNiven's biography.  This has appeared before on the List,
but it's always good to be reminded how vicious and wrong-headed a
reviewer can be, such being the nature of academic wars.

Bruce