[ilds] sumantra / mimi

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun Aug 23 05:24:34 PDT 2009

Thanks for that response, Sumantra.
> I have wached the video on this link, a cooking display of an
> Alexandrian (?) dish. But Mimi's text ("...it celebrates a mix of
> different influences ? French, Greek, Italian, Turkish. Traditional
> French patisseries like Delices and Trianon have stood for over 70
> years in their same place? Moroccan spice kiosks that fill the air
> with exotic scents....") is interesting because it suggests that the
> cosmopolitan presence is still there in Alexandria, represented at
> least by by the old, still existing culinary establishments.
I posted Mimi's video because I felt the food looked and sounded
delicious--great aesthetic, right?

I also thought that Mimi's video offers additional testimony from
someone who has grown up as an Alexandrian native.  I am certain that a
number Alexandrians still hold true to the cosmopolitan heritage of
their city.   I cannot imagine that their loyalty is easy, or at times,
safe.

I do note that Mimi designates California, USA as her current place of
residence.

Charles

Assistant Professor
Department of English