[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 29, Issue 18_Alexandria today_Mix of influences

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 02:43:39 PDT 2009

Interesting link, Charles.

I have wached the video on this link, a cooking display of an Alexandrian (?) dish. But Mimi's text ("...it celebrates a mix of different influences ? French, Greek, Italian, Turkish. Traditional French patisseries like Delices and Trianon have stood for over 70 years in their same place? Moroccan spice kiosks that fill the air with exotic scents....") is interesting because it suggests that the cosmopolitan presence is still there in Alexandria, represented at least by by the old, still existing culinary establishments.

There are some interesting videos of Alexandria (Egypt) on the following link. (Please don't be misled by the Web address (/united states/virginia/alexandria):

http://travel.sulekha.com/united-states/virginia/alexandria/videos/default.htm

The videos on (1) Streets, Egypt (Alexandria) and (2) City Downtown Market Area (Alexandria, Egypt) go behind the main thoroughfares and sights. The videos are preceded by short advertisements, so you shouldn't assume that you are viewing the wrong track when the video first opens!

I don't know if the participants in the ILDS Discussion Forum are familiar with the Website of AlexMed, an enterprise of  Bibliotheca Alexandrina, and the Newsletters published by this site:

http://www.bibalex.org/alexmed/ .

About Alex Med (Bibliotheca Alexandrina)
Mission Statement

"The Alexandria and Mediterranean Research Center (Alex Med) documents and researches the tangible and intangible heritage of Alexandria and the Mediterranean, whilst aiming to promote dialogue and exchange in the region. It seeks both to preserve the past and to promote the future development of the city of Alexandria...." The Newsletters provide very interesting accounts of the progress of the activities of AlexMed.

Bruce's fascinating and insightful paper (Bruce Redwine, "The Melting Mirage of Lawrence Durrell's White City", Impressions of the Durrell Celebration, Alexandria, Egypt, 29-30 November 2007,  arion 16.1 spring/summer 2008) captures many aspects of Alexandria and interweaves the sights of the city with literary references to The Alexandria Quartet. It also mentions the programmes arranged by Bibliotheca Alexandrina on the occasion of the celebrations in 2007. The photographs include a particularly evocative shot from the balcony of Cavafy's flat (now a museum). I have not yet read Haag's book on Alexandria, and this paper was of particular interest. It mentioned the artist Clea Badaro, a resident of Ambron Villa who inspired the character of Clea Montis in the Quartet.

Sumantra

Message: 3