[ilds] the lack of tenderness in the world

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 11:04:11 PDT 2009

Camus opens his essay "The Myth of Sysphus" with the statement, "There
is but one truly philosophical problem, and that is suicide."  I think
Durrell was dealing with that problem from an early age, and evidence
for that is embedded in his writings from the beginning of his
career.  Charles provides a good reminder from Clea's letter.  But as
beautiful as is the line, "a man tortured beyond endurance by the lack
of tenderness in the world," I don't think the sentiment touches the
core of the problem.  It's too beautiful and precious, similar to the
language of Lolita, which Grove Koger finds artificial.  Durrell has a
way of embellishing death, as Poe does.  Similar ways to hide
something.  Take the scene of Martine's corpse in Sicilian Carousel.
Her body is laid out on a beach to absorb the sea, like a seashell.
That's Annabel Lee in her kingdom by the sea.

Bruce