[ilds] Suicide

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 19:26:01 PDT 2009

Schizophrenia is a mysterious disease, but I don't think it has its
origins in child rearing.  I haven't come across that explanation.
Sappho-Jane was severely disturbed — read her journal and that is
obvious.  Equally obvious are her fantasies about her father, as she
writes about them.  I'm suggesting she identified too closely with him
and his persistent themes.  I also think suicide and fantasies about
self-extinction are far too prevalent in Durrell's work to attribute
them simply to the "imaginative process."  I would call them an
obsession.

Bruce