[ilds] Artistic Freedom

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:51:10 PDT 2009

I've tried to read the epigrams differently, but I agree that Durrell
had more than fleeting flirtations with the idea of suicide -- at least,
his notebooks suggest more than fleeting thoughts.  I'd classify that
distinctly from Sappho's suicide, but that's another complicated topic.

Still, Durrell was clearly interested in Byron, and I'd certainly read
the burning of the letters as an allusion (along with the sibling
incest...), but let's not forget that Durrell really didn't live up to
Byron's reputation.  Pursewarden is associated with the author of the
Quartet, but so is Darley, and Darley's prudish and throwing in sex to
show he's not a prude (perhaps the best indication that he is).  I'm
personally very hesitant about associating Durrell with any character in
a reasonably clear way after /Pied Piper of Lovers/.

As for what Durrell was hiding, I think he hid it well, and it probably
has a great deal more to do with his childhood and self-doubts than it
does his sex life, but that's just a personal guess.

Best,
James