[ilds] Artistic Freedom

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 10:11:06 PDT 2009

Provocative as ever, Charles.  Thanks for recalling the De Sade
epigraph.  Very relevant.  I suspect Durrell had strong suicidal
tendencies, and the reference to De Sade's "noose" is much more than a
bit of cleverness.  It's an obsession — perhaps finally fulfilled in
Sappho Jane's suicide.  Re Keat's "negative capability," I don't think
even he would want to go into some territories of depravity.  Hard to
imagine any nightingales in Dracula's castle, although I'm sure LD
could.  But why some areas are off-limits and others not is a real big
question.  I'm not upset by Cormac McCarthy's novels, Blood Meridian,
in particular.  In fact, I'm strongly attracted to Cormac's depictions
of violence.  Sexual depravity, however, touches another cord, a
prudish one.  When writing about sex, Durrell would go only so far and
got into a big argument with Miller over the latter's explicitness.
Too bad we don't have Byron's Memoirs, then we'd see how far things
could go.  "Only fit for a brothel," they were called.  Hobhouse
burned them, and Durrell has Pursewarden's letters burned, which may
be a good deal more than a touch of authorial indebtedness to an
honored predecessor.  Maybe Durrell was also hiding something.

Bruce