[ilds] Subject: Eagleton

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 07:07:45 PDT 2009

If Durrell's libertarian streak is as real as I've argued, then there's
a very clear reason why Eagleton would oppose him -- the same reason why
the likes of Frederic Jameson disregard the likes of Henry Miller.  An
individualist view (as Eagleton describes Durrell) just doesn't jive
with the Messianic break into a post-capitalist Utopia at the end of
history.  That individualist may be anti-authoritarian, but that's the
actual point -- there's no anti-authoritarian communist paradise, just
like there's not anti-authoritarian corporate world, and most on
libertarian left (or its other names) see slow progress rather than
messianic moments of revolution...

Just me two bits before the internet time cuts me off!

-J