[ilds] Takes

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 15 15:42:10 PDT 2009

Sumantra,

Thanks for the interesting and informed email re a couple of "takes"
on Lawrence Durrell and his standing in what? — "English letters?"
Charles has already given his "take," and I agree with everything he
said.  A couple of over-long comments, which I hope are relevant.

I mentioned earlier Chinua Achebe's article on Conrad's Heart of
Darkness (1899), an early classic, especially ever since Eliot mined
it for an epigraph in "The Hollow Men."  The article:  "An Image of
Africa:  Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness" (Mass. Review 18
[1977]).  Achebe is a Nigerian.  Besides labeling Conrad a racist,
Achebe's criticism of HD basically boils down to saying, and here I do
not quote, just paraphrase liberally, "The novella is not true.  It
badly misrepresents Africa and Africans.  It's a gross and unfair
treatment of the Congo and it's people, and it's typical of the racism
of the European colonial mind."  In short, and here's a direct quote,
"[Conrad's] obvious racism has, however, not been addressed.  And it
is high time it was!"  All this I would argue strenuously against and
say that Achebe doesn't understand what Conrad is trying to do.
Moreover, I give Conrad complete latitude to say whatever he deems
necessary to accomplish his artistic ends, which I see in no way racist.

Achebe's arguments are relevant to this discussion, because I find
them very close to a lot of criticism I heard at "The Durrell
Celebration," held in Alexandria, Egypt, 2007, on the occasion of the
fiftieth anniversary of the publication of Justine.  There many
Egyptian members of the audience stood up and attacked the Quartet,
using arguments very similar to Achebe's.  I have no sympathy with
that approach.

Now, Terry Eagleton is another prominent opponent of Durrell's work.
First, I would mention Eagleton is a critic of questionable ethics,
since he reviewed MacNiven's biography of LD in TLS?, without the
courtesy of a complete and careful reading of the work.  Not
surprisingly, Eagleton commits a number of factual errors about
Durrell.  All this has been previously discussed on the List.  Second,
Eagleton is a Marxist critic, and Marxist like to talk about the
social value of literary works or "real human sympathy," as you quote
Eagleton saying below — none of which should be confused with the
ethical values of reviewers.  Finally, re Eaglerton's criticism of
Durrell's "country of the mind?"  Charles deals with this well.  I
only add, and what's wrong with that?  Joyce has his Dublin and Proust
his Paris — all countries of the mind, in my mind, and they will endure.

Eagleton's final barb, however, strikes home, but not as he would
like.  As a throwaway, he mentions Nabokov as another example of
"elitism and aestheticism," but an author with a "finer literary
talent."  And this is surely true.  Nabokov's Lolita consistently gets
ranked as the second greatest novel of the 20th century, second only
to Joyce's Ulysses.  Durrell's problem, as I see it, is that he wasn't
enough of an artist or, to put it another way, not hard working
enough.  He was too gifted and writing came to him too easily.
Besides his other problems of overwriting and a propensity towards
pomposity, he didn't revise as he should have and try to turn out a
finished product equal to those just mentioned.  Of course, he had
financial considerations — the pressures of wives, ex-wives, and
children.  But I think something else caused his restlessness with
art, and I don't know what it was.

Bruce