[ilds] The Lost Capital of Memory

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Aug 14 07:58:56 PDT 2009

> On Aug 14, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Marc Piel wrote:
>
>> I asked an Egyptian to send me some photos of the people on the
>> beaches: these apparently tell another story!!! He is just outside
>> Alexandria; nobody swimms in Alex's beaches any more because of the
>> polution! My friend went out and took these photos for me.
>> Marc
I am more interested in taking the discussion back to /Lawrence
Durrell/, perhaps via Sumantra's posting.

But I wonder if the beach with more permissive attire is a /private/
beach, of which there are many around Alex, including Montaza, where I
swam 13 years ago.

        Beaches, Alexandria
        http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Africa/Egypt/Muhafazat_al_Iskandariyah/Alexandria-2009064/Things_To_Do-Alexandria-Beaches-BR-1.html

The point about the polluted waters at Alex is valid.  The sewage comes
right back into the harbors.  I recall how the leader of the
archaeological team excavating the Cleopatra sites ordered his team out
of the water after short periods.

Even at Montaza, which is very beautiful and well kept, I took sick
immediately after swimming.

Thanks for these views and reports, Marc and Bruce.

Charles

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga