[ilds] The Lost Capital of Memory

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 07:40:57 PDT 2009

I don't think Daniel Williams is lying or exaggerating in his article
for Bloomberg news, and I take his point to be true.  Namely, the
niqab (a woman's full-length body cloak, where only the eyes are
exposed) has become standard swimming gear for Islamic women around
Alex.  The women in Marc's submitted photos may be Copts or foreigners
or some brave Egyptians.  (Egypt has a large Coptic population, maybe
ten percent.)  I don't think they're Jews, because, as Charles has
pointed out, there are very, very few Jews living in Egypt today,
because of the hostile policies of the Egyptian government.  You will
recall that Eve Cohen, aka Justine, was essentially stateless when she
lived in Egypt, because she was a Jew.  Re the wearing of the niqab,
I'm one with the President of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, who said
recently, more or less, that it's a form of female imprisonment.

Bruce