[ilds] The Lost Capital of Memory

Marc Piel marcpiel at interdesign.fr
Fri Aug 14 01:31:00 PDT 2009

Hello Galal,
Some of the people on the Durrel list are contunually negative.
I think they do it on purpose; it is their "power".
BR Marc

Here is one I received this morning:

"I am no authority on Alexandria, just a casual observer.  I was there
for only five days, but the trends were disturbing.  The old
cosmopolitan culture of Greeks, Jews, Copts, Christians, Arabs,
Armenians, et al. is disappearing.  The city is no longer Durrell's city
of diversity and tolerance.  Read Dr. Mohamed Awad's article in /Deus
Loci,/ "The House Revisited, the City Remembered" (vol. 7, 1999-2000),
for a local assessment of the cultural situation.  Also read and study
Michael Haag's book of old photographs, V/intage Alexandria:
 Photographs of the City 1860-1960 /(Cairo 2008).  That city is quickly
vanishing.  More distressingly, some try to wipe out that memory and say
it never really existed or was never representative of "real"
Alexandria.  /VA/ was recently reviewed in /TLS /(26 June 2009), and the
reviewer, Maria Golia, an American and longtime resident of Cairo,
assumes the Islamist viewpoint and claims that Durrell's "capital of
Memory" was never more than a society enjoyed by the families of "the
very, very few."  Golia presumably means rich, decadent families of
foreign lineage.  She sounds a good deal like Mr. Sobhi Saleh, a Muslim
Brotherhood MP, as quoted in Daniel Williams's article.  Haag responded
to Golia's review and wrote, "They were not so few, and their families
had been in Egypt for generations, in some cases for centuries.  They
had been welcomed in Egypt for their expertise, energy and capital; they
played a major role in developing the country ? they played an authentic
part in Egyptian history" /(TLS,/ 2 July 2009).  Seems to me, that in
Egypt today there is a concerted effort to deny the history that Haag
refers to, the same one Durrell cherished."