[ilds] Intolerance Wears a Veil

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:18:49 PDT 2009

Salut Marc!

As you know, we prefer the listerv open, despite disagreements (except
in cases of unduly personal disputes).  I can only add that Durrell, of
all people, was capable of his own share of pretentious intellectual
bastardizations...  But aren't we all.

If I recall, your background is in design, so I can say directly that
virtually everyone in the world has no idea what a serif is nor how it
could relate to the readability of a text -- likewise, most readers have
little or no interest in the historical or aesthetic elements of a given
text.  So, I hope we can celebrate our individual "nothings".  I like my
own in particular...  A better question might be why we value our own
while needing to devalue others'.

To everyone on the list whom I owe a reply and am dreadfully behind, I
can only say that I have poor internet access here and will try to
respond quickly, but I'm not back in North America until late next
week.  For the few who are interested, I'll come back with some archival
treasures.

Best,
James