[ilds] impermanence

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Thu Aug 13 14:23:32 PDT 2009

Ken Gammage writes
> Professor Sligh, I've been enjoying your posts, and agree that this poem suggests the same impermanence we have been discussing...
>
> I just wanted to say, Durrell's own translation of this poem in the Quartet was so much better than Merrill's!
>
> -- Ken
Thanks for these words, Ken.

Yes, strange how CPC's most private and intimate poems about lost lovers
also seem to speak about the lost City.

I do prefer LD's translation.  But that preference springs from their
familiarity and old associations, not out of any notion of the
translator's accuracy.  Those LD translations of CPC are my "old
furniture," you might say.

Glad to have you here on the listserv.

Charles

Assistant Professor