[ilds] The Lost Capital of Memory

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 13:17:37 PDT 2009

Charles,

I am no authority on Alexandria, just a casual observer.  I was there
for only five days, but the trends were disturbing.  The old
cosmopolitan culture of Greeks, Jews, Copts, Christians, Arabs,
Armenians, et al. is disappearing.  The city is no longer Durrell's
city of diversity and tolerance.  Read Dr. Mohamed Awad's article in
Deus Loci, "The House Revisited, the City Remembered" (vol. 7,
1999-2000), for a local assessment of the cultural situation.  Also
read and study Michael Haag's book of old photographs, Vintage
Alexandria:  Photographs of the City 1860-1960 (Cairo 2008).  That
city is quickly vanishing.  More distressingly, some try to wipe out
that memory and say it never really existed or was never
representative of "real" Alexandria.  VA was recently reviewed in TLS
(26 June 2009), and the reviewer, Maria Golia, an American and
longtime resident of Cairo, assumes the Islamist viewpoint and claims
that Durrell's "capital of Memory" was never more than a society
enjoyed by the families of "the very, very few."  Golia presumably
means rich, decadent families of foreign lineage.  She sounds a good
deal like Mr. Sobhi Saleh, a Muslim Brotherhood MP, as quoted in
Daniel Williams's article.  Haag responded to Golia's review and
wrote, "They were not so few, and their families had been in Egypt for
generations, in some cases for centuries.  They had been welcomed in
Egypt for their expertise, energy and capital; they played a major
role in developing the country — they played an authentic part in
Egyptian history" (TLS, 2 July 2009).  Seems to me, that in Egypt
today there is a concerted effort to deny the history that Haag refers
to, the same one Durrell cherished.

Bruce