[ilds] Poem: "Lawrence Durrell"

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 9 09:19:19 PDT 2009

Dr. D.,

Good idea, but I'm no poet, just a lowly critic.  My favorite
hemistich:  "Bitch bitch bitch!"  Bryant has written a perceptive
poem, a sad one, which identifies Durrell gifts and problems.  It is a
"loving tribute," but also an honest one.  I do not, however, find
most of the poetry, "rather flat," but like Bryant, often wonder,
"what did it really mean?"  Finally, I just love Bryant's reading —
his accent, humor, and cadence.  I append the poem at the end.

Bruce

On Aug 8, 2009, at 5:11 AM, BIGPOND ACCOUNT wrote:

> G'day Bruce....thanks for the youtube link and I propose an
> international LD poetry competition:
>
> "paint a
>      poetic
>          portrait
>            of Lawrence Durrell"
>
> The entries can post their entries on you tube and the poem with the
> highest view score in 3 months will win and collect a painting by
> Uncle Efps!....the Australian Durrell Society (ADS) will be sure to
> post a powerful poem and David and I will be hard at work over Shiraz
> to shape an ode to Uncle Epfs.... Perhaps as the berkeley boy you'd
> inspire us a little by squeezing a little poem out about our beloved
> Larry soon.... Hope your well and like to see you on YouTube soon!!
> Agape
> AD
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 08/08/2009, at 8:23, Bruce Redwine <bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> YouTube.  Charles Bryant reads his poem on LD.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoa4d-aev

LAWRENCE DURRELL

by Charles Bryant

Really rather a grubby little man!
Stink of Gauloises and last night's spilt gin.
Attempting to be fashionably gay,
his heart not really in it.

The sirocco was always blowing;
sometimes the more exotic sharp khamseen;
the shrubbery packed with cicadas sawing away;
bougainvillea blooming up the drive.
Hung over, groping for another drink
and finding the bottle empty.  Bitch bitch bitch!

His publishers deferential but demanding
just like the latest mistress, some old biddy
reeking of the casbah and stale sex.
The awful poetry:  what did it really mean?
Endlessly sprawling novels with Latin names.

An ex-pat to his very ex-pat bones
lounging about Greek islands.  Civil servant
manqué; admirer of Cavafy
and Krafft-Ebbing.  Scobie
his most glorious creation,
self-portrait with earth-closet;