[ilds] the heavy shadow of Lawrence Durrell

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Jun 12 19:02:43 PDT 2009

Here below please find an excerpt from an interview with Alex Jeffers.

The whole entire makes for fascinating reading--link included below.

Charles

***

*Interview with Gay Author Alex Jeffers
June 12, 3:19 PM ·

Alan Chin
SF GLBT Literary Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-9327-SF-GLBT-Literary-Examiner~y2009m6d12-Interview-with-Gay-Author-Alex-Jeffers

*
> Q: Who are the authors who most influence you, both in your early
> career and now?
> A: The strongest early influences, still marking my prose and approach
> to the work, would probably be science-fiction writers Samuel R Delany
> and Joanna Russ—I only found out years later both were gay. *I read
> the Alexandria Quartet at an impressionable age and am aware of the
> heavy shadow of Lawrence Durrell on a lot of my work.* I can only hope
> to have been benignly influenced by Charlotte and Anne Brontë (Emily
> not so much), Samuel Richardson, Elizabeth Bowen, Alice Munro, William
> Trevor, Robert Ferro, Orhan Pamuk, among many.

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
charles-sligh at utc.edu