[ilds] Durrell, Bakhtin, and Joyce--Carnival genres/menippean satire

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 20:27:42 PDT 2009

Hello Jacob,

Welcome to the list!  There are indeed some strong ties between Durrell
and Petronius, not the least of which are the overt references in /The
Revolt of Aphrodite/ (the titles of each volume) and the section
"Minisatyricon" at the end of the /Avignon Quintet/.  There are
allusions to Petronius in Durrell's earliest novels as well, including
overt references and covert allusions in /Pied Piper of Lovers/ and
/Panic Spring/ from the 30s.

But, I think these articles might interest you more immediately:

Zahlan, Anne Ricketson. "City as Carnival, Narrative as Palimpsest:
Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet." /Journal of Narrative
Technique/ 18.1 (1988): 34-46.

Fraser, G. S. "By Courtesy of the Firm." /New Statesman/ 75 (12 April
1968): 483-484.

Howarth, Herbert. "Lawrence Durrell and Some Early Masters." /Books
Abroad/ 37 (Winter 1963): 5-11.

Youssef, Hala Youssef Halim. "The Alexandria Archive: An Archaeology of
Alexadrian Cosmopolitanism." Diss. UCLA, 2004.

Apart from Zahlan and Youssef, there's been surprisingly little work
done on Durrell & Bakhtin.  Likewise for Petronius, though it's
mentioned in passing fairly regularly, but I think Fraser and Howarth
make the most sustained references.

You'll find we're all pretty open to discussion here.  Fire away!

Cheers,
James