[ilds] Fw: ILDS Digest, Vol 26, Issue 8_The Enigma of Arriving

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 12 05:19:42 PDT 2009

Sumantra,

perhaps, like Evelyn Waugh, LD was reacting to the 'proletarian scholars'.

I often think of his work as a reaction to modernity, the rise of American
style business mantras.

Clito's wine bar was a better place for LD than Cloisters of Oxford, the
corporate towers of New York. even if the colonial arm-chair piss-up scene
apealed enormously, LD embraced a european mode after Norman Douglas even
if, in truth, it was not really him - he embraced that style of life as a
concept, as a second reality to his own existence.

Pass the retsina.

DG

Denise Tart
Civil Celebrant - A8807