[ilds] Evgenios Spatharis

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sun May 10 16:36:30 PDT 2009

gkoger at mindspring.com wrote:
> AP reports that "puppet master" Evgenios Spatharis has died:
>
> http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/05/10/D983JNNO1_eu_greece_obit_evgenios_spatharis/index.html

That is sorrowful news, Grove, not only for several generations of
Greeks, but also for all Durrellians who spent a starry Corfu night
sitting out of doors, lamplit and laughing with Spatharis's dragons and
charlatans and fools in 2000.

"History" sometime seems but a record of such losses--to remind us of
what great things we forgot we had and did not reckon aright. I suppose
that is the sum of /Prospero's Cell/, all things considered. . . .

I will now pour off another glass for Eugenios and listen to Merle
Haggard and Willie Nelson.

Charles

Assistant Professor
Department of English