[ilds] NEPENTHE

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 20 17:37:35 PDT 2009

IF you love the world of Durrell and Douglas and David, as I do, then, in this country at least, you can exist in something of a cultural void. Imagine my surprise when, as I called into my local grog shop this morning, I noticed a bottle of Sauvingon Blanc named 'Nepenthe'. My first reaction was that it must be Italian wine. The owners of the shop are Italian and stock a range of that country's wines; but no, the maker was a South Australian 'Barossa Valley' wine company whose owner is clearly a Norman Douglas fan. Well, it's a fresh, amusing and light white rather like a Trebbiano D' Arbruzzo; perfect for an 11:30am drink as Douglas liked to have.

Someone needs to make 'Prospero's wine'.

David

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW  2204
+61 2 9564 6165